Plan of the garden
with the main botanical species
A view of the garden
The garden fountain and Neptune shrine in the background
A view of the Grand Canal
from the garden
A detail of the garden entrance
representing the Barnabo initial
The garden of Palazzo Malipiero was
created, together with many others, at the end of the
eighteenth century, when the large palace gardens situated on the
outskirts of the city disappeared because of residential and industrial
No doubt due to the particularities
of the building plan, with a large entrance hall connecting
Campo San Samuele to the courtyard, the garden's layout
is most original: the area, compartmented by a simple design
of hedge lines, extends along the building and is aligned
both on the courtyard and the Grand Canal.
Thus the garden, when viewed from the Grand Canal, is divided
in two symmetrical parts centred around a Hercule's Nymph fountain.
The latter is also aligned with the seventeenth century
entrance hall, so that a perspective view can be seen
when entering the palace from the main door, through to
the fountain a a statue of Neptune inserted in the
opposite garden wall.
In the garden has been placed the large well
(originally in the inner courtyard) that, with the family coat-of-arms
and the sculpted figures of the bride and bridegroom Elisabetta e Caterino,
bear witness to the union between the Cappellos and the Malipieros.
From the end of 1800's, a number of statues
have contributed to enrich the garden landscaping. The hedge,
thanks to its intense colouring and precise pruning, conveys
a further sophisticated touch to this precious garden.
Exhibition spaces in Palazzo Malipiero
© 1999-2019 by Il Tridente